I thought you might be interested in how I create a cartoon. I only rarely ever draw a complete drawing in one go. At least not when I am drawing on paper and scanning the the result.
When I draw on paper, I do a sketch and then trace the sketches in ink. I sometimes do more than one trace of the sketch on the inking sheet.
Then I assemble the best parts and start colouring.
Other bits, like the BBQ grill and the apron, are drawn and assembled on separate layers. But when it’s all assembled, it looks like the image at the top.
The next year, I added Dory. While Marlin is a cream Maine Coon, Dory is a blue Oriental Shorthair. I actually did draw Dory in one go, so her layer is not as exciting.
For the newest NEMO iteration of Marlin, I realised I didn’t need to redraw all of Marlin, but only certain parts. Just his head, both arms, and some whiskers. But it worked. And it was so much easier than reinventing the wheel. Thanks to Photoshop, I didn’t have to.
The Singapuras were a bit more tricky.
I drew each one separately and three of them are complete, stand-alone cats. Only the one in the very back is a partial Singapura.
The whiskers were done separately.
I’m sure you remember last Saturday’s post about Izaak and his IKEA mice. Well, every time we go there, and we see the huge bin they have in the toy department, we very understandably wish we could bring Zak in and put him in there with all those mousies. He would love it! Sadly, however, despite their charming television advert, IKEA doesn’t allow you to bring in your cat (we’ve tried).
So I did the next best thing.
Yeah, so…after yesterday’s post about Lorelai “helping” Björn in the kitchen, you knew I had to do this…
Well…it has been a depressing couple of weeks around here, hasn’t it? Time for something pointless and silly. I found this a while ago: Apparently, cats with tiny faces is a thing now. Okay, I’m game. Let’s play.
I don’t think it works well with Abyssinians…
Oh, that’s just silly.
Oh, that’s not too bad.
Yeah, just as I suspected. It works better on solid (or mostly solid) coloured cats.
And last but not least, a tiny little Singapura stink-eye. Well, it was kind of fun to do…not sure how impressed I am with the results, though.
If you haven’t seen the hilariously bad “professionally” retouched family photos a woman posted on her Facebook account last week, you just might want to click those two hyperlinks above and take a look.
And, of course, some clever person figured out how to get this hot new Photoshop look that’s trending right now. A Finnish Photoshop expert created a tutorial on how to recreate the captivating and bewitching look. Well, I’m always up for a good Photoshop challenge (like the Woodpecker, Snowmobile, and Man Bun memes), so I thought I would try it on Jacoby and Angel. I took this photo of Jake (appropriately enough, on the ferry leaving Helsinki) and created the masterpiece at the top of this post
I couldn’t find a brightly-lit photo of Angel’s face, so I used this one of her in a tree:
And I came up with this:
I don’t think it works quite as well with cats as it does with humans, because the unretouched hair is part of what make the faces look so…odd. I tried get the same effect with the ears, but it’s just not quite the same.
So okay. Man buns, stupid as they may be, are a thing. Björn sent me this gallery of politicians rocking the man bun, and I was hit with inspiration.
Oh, yes I did. I took this photo of Jacoby and this Pinterest photo of a sad, sad hipster and brought the magic.
And there you have it: Jake with a man bun. Now can we stop this madness?
Here’s a simple one for you:
I had this photo of Jacoby…
…And this photo of Angel…
Which, cropped, make two absolutely lovely photos:
One of Angel in the snow…
…and one of Jake.
But I was rather intrigued with the little bit of Jake visible in Angel’s photo, and the little bit of Angel’s tail that you could see in Jake’s photo, so…
…I put them together! Actually, I put the photos back together, as this is how they were standing when I took the original photos. I just knitted the two photos back together by making the canvas double the original width and pasting them next to each other (with a natural overlap), cleaning up the scene, merging the layers and then cropping them as a single image with the original proportions. I will say, though, that it is much easier to do this with a winter scene than with a summer one!